What is Wrongful Termination?
Wrongful termination is when an employee has been fired or laid off from his job without a lawful basis. This type of termination affects the employee in a number of ways. An employee who has been wrongly terminated can file a case against his employers to seek justice and compensations.
First of all, let us examine how a wrongful termination impacts an employee?
The employee suffers a financial loss
His source of income is severed. Usually, such terminations occur suddenly so the employee is hardly left with any time to make any backup plans.
Being terminated affects the self-esteem of the employee as he is at a loss about the actual reason for the termination. He could suffer mental agony and depression as a consequence of termination.
Impact on Career
A termination has a negative impact on the career of the employee because it is not viewed favorably by future employers. The individual could find it difficult to find a job and he may also have to compromise on the nature and salary of his new job.
All these factors have an overall effect on the life of the individual and his family.
Although under certain circumstances the employers have a right to terminate
employees, a termination is deemed wrongful under specific conditions such as:
• If the firing violates the state and federal discrimination laws.
• If firing is due to sexual discrimination.
• Termination that is against the terms of employment contract.
• Termination that does not conform to labor laws, etc.
• Firing that takes place as a consequence of retaliation by the employer against the employee who might file a complaint or claim against the employer.
If you are a victim of wrongful termination for these or any other reason, you are eligible for compensation from your employer. Your employer is liable to pay you for damages based on your lost wages and any other expenses. It is a good idea to consult a wrongful termination lawyer who specializes in such cases.
How can a lawyer help?
• These lawyers will represent you.
• They will find out the terms and conditions of your employment contract.
• Investigate the reasons and persons responsible for the termination.
• Review the promises made by your employers.
• Try to negotiate the best severance package.
Working life is not devoid of its share of challenges and problems. One of the most unfortunate events in one's career can be a wrongful termination. However, the best way to cope with such a situation is to face it with composure. You can hire a reputed lawyer who can represent you and get justice.
If you need to consult a wrongful termination lawyer in Clovis CA, seek the services of Wagner Jones Kopfman Artenian and Co. To know more Visit here
Article Source: https://EzineArticles.com/expert/Kanika_Saxena/2335315